This article details how to take advantage of native QuickBooks order numbering (called "next available number") instead of the integration order number.
How does Connex map order numbers in QuickBooks?
By default, Connex will insert the integration order number as the sales order, sales receipt, or invoice number. Alternatively, QuickBooks offers a native transaction number features that uses the last order number plus one as the order number. You can instruct Connex to use this numbering scheme.
Why would I use this setting?
The setting is ideal if:
- You have several selling channels.
- You have multiple channels of the same integration (i.e. two different Shopify stores where the numbers can intersect)
- You do not wish to use an order prefix (i.e. SH-1000 instead of #1000)
- You have a large company file that goes back many years, where you unknowingly collide with old orders (i.e. order #123 from 2015, preventing order #123 created today in ShipStation)
How does Connex for QuickBooks find duplicates?
When Connex syncs a new order, Connex inserts the order number into the QuickBooks memo field. Connex will match the order date and the memo.
How many digits can Order Numbers be?
- QuickBooks Desktop order numbers can be a maximum of 11 characters
- QuickBooks Online order numbers can be a maximum of 25 characters
How do I enable QuickBooks numbering?
You must tell QuickBooks where to start the numbering. Otherwise, you will see blank numbers in QuickBooks:
- Click on the Gear > Account and Company Settings > Sales.
- Under sales form content, uncheck custom transaction numbers.
- Add an invoice.
- Check use custom transaction numbers.
You must configure Connex to use the next number:
- Login to Connex for QuickBooks.
- Click manage.
- Expand the transaction area.
- Check the box for use QuickBooks numbering:
Why is Connex is inserting orders without numbers?
You created an order in QuickBooks without a number. Create a new order in QuickBooks. Give it a number. Next time, QuickBooks will add one to the numbers.
QuickBooks will add one to the last number. If your latest order has no number, QuickBooks will show blank order numbers. You must add an order and QuickBooks will add one to the next number:
- In QuickBooks, click on the gear.
- On the left, select company settings.
- On the left of the next screen, click sales.
- Under sales form content, check custom transaction numbers.
- In QuickBooks, go to customers and add a new invoice.
- Make the invoice number 1000.
- Go back to the sales form entry page.
- Uncheck custom transaction numbers.
- QuickBooks will start at 1001.