Although QuickBooks allows you to map custom fields, you cannot map them by name. Instead, you must map the field name in the order it appears in QuickBooks.
Can I map all ten Custom Fields in QuickBooks Online?
QuickBooks Online allows users to create up to ten custom fields. Connex can only map to the first three custom fields at this time. (This is a limitation of QuickBooks, as it only allows users to set values for the first three).
Tip: use the Connex Order Previewer on a test order, as the preview will show how those custom fields will be mapped when syncing the order to your QBO.
How do I use the Rules Engine to map Custom Fields in QuickBooks Online?
Phase One: Enable Custom Fields in QuickBooks Online
Here are the steps:
- Login to QuickBooks Online.
- Click the gear box on the top right of the screen (settings).
- Choose Account and Settings.
- Click Sales.
- Under Sales Form Content, enable custom fields.
Here is an example of the QuickBooks Online custom fields:
View a list of custom fields to map
Connex's order previewer tool will show a list of sales. If you use WooCommerce, you must check sync custom fields under the transaction tab of the Connex configure page.
To use the tool, follow these steps:
- Login to Connex.
- On the left, click orders and click order previewer.
- Fill out the search form to view your sale. If you use Shopify or WooCommerce and the order number fails to return the proper sale, use the date range search.
- Expand the sale.
You will see two tabs. The first tab shows a list of custom fields that can be mapped. Without mapping, these fields remain unused. The second tab shows a list of custom fields that will sync to QuickBooks.
Your rules must specify the QuickBooks field name, which in this case is PO, and the field name from your website:
- Go to the Connex rules engine.
- Click Add New Rule.
- Choose 'Map custom field to another custom field'. Click Advance.
- Create rule, click Finish.
ShipStation: How are the fields displayed?
ShipStation has three custom fields, all of which we can map successfully.
When making rules in Connex, remove all spaces between the words and letters (Custom Field 1 -> CustomField1):
How they are displayed in ShipStation, via Order Notes
When Mapping in Connex, these would be the names of the Custom Fields:
To map the ShipStation CustomField1 to the QuickBooks Online PO field, create this rule:
Infusionsoft by Keap
Here are the steps:
- Login to Infusionsoft.
- On the top nav, click the arrow icon down.
- Under admin on the right, click settings.
- On the right, select order under set up custom fields for.
- Click go.
- Create a field and click view API names. In this example, the field is PurchaseOrder.
- Follow the steps to add custom field mappings, as shown above. Enter the API name in the map from.
Can I hard-code values?
Our rules engine is designed to map one field to another. Unless the field exists on the order, we will fail to map it. This is the recommended approach.
- You can easily set these fields without a rule. Log into Connex. Click manage. Expand Orders > Sync Orders to QuickBooks > Transaction. Adjust the drop downs.
- QuickBooks has sales by class and location. Go to reports and look up the proper report.
If the above suggestion is not applicable for your account, the following is another alternative that can be pursued, particularly for hard-coding Sales Rep values:
1. Login to Connex, go to Rules Engine >My Rules
2. Click Add New Rule.3. For 'Type of Rule', choose 'Map field, based on a condition'. Click Advance:
4. Give your rule a name, and for step 2, choose 'Map Order Sales Rep' from the drop-down:
- The 'Field To Check' > Sales Rep
- The Comparison > Is Not
- The Conjunction > OR
- Initial Value > The value you want mapped (Meaning if you want to hard-code "ST" to the Sales Rep field in QuickBooks, you would enter "ST"):
6. For step 4, 'What should the value be?', enter the value you want hard-coded (Meaning if you want to hard-code "ST" to the Sales Rep field in QuickBooks, you would enter "ST" here as well):
7. Finish the Rule Creation wizard.