Many of our customers are using pre-built fields. These fields are much easier to set-up and we recommend using them, instead of creating a custom field in QuickBooks.
Am I using QuickBooks custom fields?
To use these fields, follow these steps:
- In QuickBooks, open an invoice.
- Click the manage tab and click customize data layout:
If you see your field names in other or FOB, then you are using a predefined field.
How do I bind a custom field to the QuickBooks other or FOB field?
In this example, we will map an order custom field called other to the QuickBooks other field. Using the QuickBooks other or FOB fields required fewer steps to map, since the fields already exist in QuickBooks.
Here are the steps:
- Go to the Connex rules engine.
- Click add.
- Choose start from scratch.
- As the action, choose map order other or map order FOB:
- In the comparisons grid, choose these values:
- Leave map to blank.
- Click finish.
How do I bind custom field to custom field?
Add Custom Field to QuickBooks
Here are the steps:
- In QuickBooks, click customers on the top menu.
- Select customer center.
- Open a customer.
- Click additional info.
- On the right, click define fields.
- In the dialog, enter the custom field name and check the customer box.
- In the what kind of data field, enter any text. Other data types are not supported at this time:
View a list of custom fields to map
- Login to Connex.
- On the left, click orders.
- Click order previewer.
- Fill out the search form to view your sale. If you use Shopify or WooCommerce and the order number fails to return the proper sale, use the date range search.
- Expand the sale.
You will see two tabs. The first tab shows a list of custom fields that can be mapped. Without mapping, these fields remain unused.
The second tab shows a list of custom fields that will sync to QuickBooks. If your rule was successful, then the custom field name and its value appear under mapped custom fields. Here is an example of a custom field:
If you add a mapping and there is no value, then Connex will insert no text and move onto the next field to map. In this example, the order syncing to QuickBooks contains a mapping for PO number. You can view this field on the other tab of the order previewer. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Connex for QuickBooks rules engine.
- Click add new rule.
- Click map custom field from the templates menu:
- Add a name for the rule.
- Click next, until you reach conditions.
- From your ordering solution, enter the field name. In this example, the custom field name is other. Replace other with the custom field name in your ordering solution:
- Click next.
- On the map to step, add the field name from QuickBooks.
How do I say if a custom field contains a phrase, then map to another value
In this example, we will map NET 30 to the QuickBooks terms field, if the custom field other contains 12345.
Create the rule
- On the left of Connex, click rules > my rules.
- Click add.
- As the action, choose map order terms.
- Enter this comparison:
- In the map to field, enter NET 30.
Preview the result
- On the left navigation, click orders > order previewer.
- Choose your connection.
- Enter a date range or order number.
- In the order fields, enter terms.
- Click preview orders.
Here is the end result: