What does it mean?
You have an item in QuickBooks called SalesTax. Its item type should be sales tax item. Instead, it has another item type.
What is the full message?
Here is the full error message:
There is an invalid reference to QuickBooks Item "SalesTax" in the Invoice line. QuickBooks error message: You cannot use the same tax item in both the line items and the txn tax.
How do I fix the error?
Here are the steps:
- Log into Connex.
- Click manage.
- Expand tax > sales tax mapping.
- In the out of state field, enter a value. It is possible the sales tax item SalesTax is added as a code on the bottom right and as a line item.
- In QuickBooks, go to lists and click item list.
- Find the SalesTax item.
- If the item type of type sales tax item, exit the item list. Go to edit > preferences > sales tax. As the default code, select another code:
- If the item type is not sales tax item, rename it to SalesTax_Old:
- On the bottom, click item > new.
- Create a new item called SalesTax and give its type sales tax item:
How do I move funds from the old payables to the new payables account?
You can perform a journal entry:
- In QuickBooks, go to reports and click liability report.
- Find the amount in your sales tax liability account.
- In QuickBooks, click company.
- Click make journal entries.
- Debit the old account and credit sales tax payable.
For more information, please contact your Accountant or CPA.