Error 3140 : While trying to Add a(n) SalesOrder with key value of 28672, QuickBooks responded There is an invalid reference to QuickBooks Customer "Mark Plummer" in the SalesOrder. QuickBooks error message: The specified name is either invalid or of the wrong type.
QuickBooks customers, vendors, and employees exist in the same database table. When you look at vendors, you're looking at a filtered list of records where the customer type is vendor. Customers can have a type of other. Our system cannot locate customers if their type is other.
You must change the customer type. Here are the steps:
- In QuickBooks' top menu, click lists > other names list.
- Locate the customer record.
- Double click the row.
- Click the change type button:
- Select customer:
- When promoted that the change cannot be undone, click OK.
Vendor or Employee
You cannot have a customer who is an employee and a vendor. This happens when you buy something from a customer who bought something from you. To check if you have a vendor with the same name, follow these steps:
- In QuickBooks, go to vendor > vendor center.
- From the drop down, choose all vendors.
- Search for a vendor.
- If you find a match, rename the vendor:
For employees the steps are the same. This error happens when you place test orders using an employee of your company.
Can I use the rules engine to change the company name?
You could say if the company was Windsor, then map the sale to Windsor orders. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Connex rules engine.
- Click action and add new rule.
- As the action, choose replace billing company name.
- As the comparison, choose matches.
- Enter a map from and a map to value.
Can I sync the order under another customer name?
Yes, you can sync the order under a customer called web store:
- Login to Connex.
- Click manage.
- Expand the first area.
- Enter the order number into the order number list field.
- Expand customer.
- Choose single name.
- Click save.
- Run the web connector.
- Return to Connex and change the customer setting.