Getting Started with Connex Desktop: Pair the Web Connector
The Web Connector is the QuickBooks tool that enabled Connex to integrate with your QuickBooks (see also: What is the QuickBooks Web Connector?). The next steps for setting up will be to download a Connex-generated QWC pairing file, apply it to the Web Connector, and finally run the Web Connector for the first time to test the connection.
In this article:
- Choose Sync Direction (step 1)
- Pair Web Connector (step 2)
- Pairing the Web Connector video walk through
QuickBooks Required Access
To complete the following steps, you must be logged into QuickBooks as the Admin user and have temporarily set QuickBooks to single-user mode.
Choose Sync Direction
In this first step, we'll set the direction in which data should flow with QuickBooks. There are three choices:
1. Sync orders to QuickBooks from the chosen integration (in this example, Shopify).
- This is the default behavior and selected by default. This is what you need if you wish to sync your sales into QuickBooks.
2. Sync inventory from QuickBooks to [Shopify] and sync orders.
- This behavior enables the Connex inventory updates features and syncs sales into QuickBooks.
To enable this feature, a Pro or higher subscription is required. Not available with all integrations. To see which integrations support inventory syncing, please click here.
3. Sync orders from QuickBooks to [Shopify].
- This behavior enables the syncing of transactions created within QuickBooks and sends them to the chosen integration.
- We refer to this as a two-way sync.
To enabled this feature, a Growth or higher subscription is required. Not available with all integrations. To see which integrations support a two-way sync, please click here.
Pairing the Web Connector
Now it's time to pair the QuickBooks Web Connector. Note that directions are provided on-screen. These steps will occur within QuickBooks. When complete, return to Connex and click Next to proceed.
1. Login to your QuickBooks Company file as Admin, and set QuickBooks to single-user mode (File > Switch to Single-use mode).
2. If you aren't already, login to Connex.
3. Complete the Add New Integration steps.
4. Connex will automatically download the required QWC file.
5. Once the QWC files appears in your downloads, double-click to execute. This will likewise open the QuickBooks Web Connector. Otherwise, you can open the Web Connector from within QuickBooks by clicking File > Update Web Services.
6. A QuickBooks authorization certificate will appear - click OK.
7. Next, continue the authorization process by clicking Yes where appropriate. Finally, select the "Yes, always..." option and choose the "Login as" to the Admin user. Click Continue..., then click Done.
8. In the Web Connector, place a check mark next to Connex on the left-hand side. This selects the integration.
9. Next, in the Password field, enter an arbitrary password - it can be anything you like. Make sure to save it.
10. Finally, click Update Selected. This runs the selected integration. The goal here is two fold: 1) This tests the integration to ensure QuickBooks is talking to Connex; 2) is shares some vital information to Connex so the remainder of the set up can be complete.
All done! Your QuickBooks is paired with Connex and you can now proceed with completing configuration. The final steps, configuring your integration, will be completed entirely within Connex.
Switch to Multi-User Mode
Just in case, you can now return your QuickBooks to multi-use mode, too (File > Switch to Multi-user Mode).
Getting Started with Connex Desktop: Pair the Web Connector (Video)